Welcome to Class 4!
Our teacher is Miss Gillin.
Our teaching assistants are the wonderful Mrs Hunter and Mrs Rogers.
We have PE with Mr Hawthorne on a Monday and we have gymnastics on a Thursday.
Please ensure that PE kits are in school and have your child's name clearly labelled on every item.
Homework, home reading and spellings
Please ensure your child has their reading folder in school every day.
Your child will have a spelling test every Wednesday. Homework folders and spelling diaries must be handed in by Wednesday so we can update them with their latest test score and new spellings.
Your child's spelling test scores can be found on each spelling list. If the spelling diary has not been handed in, we are unable to record their attained scores and your child's new spellings will be given on a separate piece of paper.
We remind the children every morning to take their reading folders, homework folders and any letters or forms out of their bag. However, we are still finding that things are being left in bags. Please can you remind your child that these must be handed in.
Every Thursday your child will receive the new set of spellings. Your child may also receive a piece of handwriting practice or a piece of maths homework set on MyMaths.
Can you believe we are already in the Summer Term? Time flies when you are having fun!
In our English lessons, we will be focusing on three main genres:
- Information texts
- Stories with a fantasy setting
In our spelling, punctuation and grammar lessons (SPaG), we are focusing on:
- Joining words and joining clauses using the word 'and'
- Punctuating sentences using a capital letter and a full stop, question mark or an exclamation mark
- Using a capital letter for names, for the personal pronoun 'I', for the days of the week and for the months of the year
- Adding 's' or 'es' to make a word plural
- Creating and using compound words
In Mathematics, we are focusing on:
- Understanding language associated with measurement - length, mass and capacity
- Sequencing - Days of the week, months of the year, time
- Starting to tell the time
- Recognise and name common 2D shapes
- Recognise and name common 3D shapes
- Describe position, direction and movement
- Counting to and across 100, forwards and backwards, from any given number
- One more or one less of any given number
In Science, we are continuing our topic of 'Plants'. Hopefully, if the weather permits, we will be able to grow some plants of our own!
In RE, we are focusing on:
- Exploring my world and Jesus' world
- The events after Easter
In Geography, we are focusing on 'Where are we?':
- Studying the geography of our school
- Studying the key human and physical features of our school environment
- Understand where we are - our school, our city, our country, our island
In History, we are finishing our topic on Neil Armstrong and looking at The Terracotta Warriors.
In Computing, we are focusing on the following:
- Understanding algorithms through unplugged activities
- Using PurpleMash for simple algorithms and coding
In Art, we are creating our very own Terracotta Warriors out of clay.
Please visit our page regularly as it will be updated with important notices and information throughout the term.
School Term Dates 2017/18
Autumn Term 2017
INSET: Monday 4th September 2017
INSET: Tuesday 5th September 2017
Starts: Wednesday 6th September 2017
Half Term: Monday 23rd to Friday 27th October 2017
Ends: Thursday 21st December 2017
Spring Term 2018
Starts: Monday 8th January 2018
Half Term: Monday 12th to Friday 16th February 2018
Ends: Friday 23rd March 2018
Summer Term 2018
Starts: Monday 9th April 2018
May Day: Monday 7th May 2018
Half Term: Monday 28th May to Friday 1st June 2018
INSET: Monday 4th June 2018
Ends: Friday 20th July 2018
INSET: Monday 23rd July 2018
INSET: Tuesday 24th July 2018